Ask any traveller about his strongest experience and a story of an encounter invariably follows. When we meet people not only face to face , but ‘heart to heart’, we experience this as something special.
When travelling, each one of us recognizes the feeling of being out of one’s comfort zone.
Far away everything is different. Also the people. When we position ourselves at eye level of the ‘foreigner’ , we come to know him with an open mind , we enter his world and everything becomes different.
Trust that we give, we also receive.
When we accept that someone is different, a certain chemistry is created. We should not only look at the exterior, but we should keep listening. In this way prejudices and predispositions do not get a chance and the ‘foreign exterior’ will make place for a ‘recognizable interior’. We will experience that wealth is to be found in being different, exactly within the differences. In this sense, people we called ‘foreigners’ at first, are in fact a blessing. The only condition is that we open our heart and allow ourselves to be moved.
In this way foreigners become friends
If our society feels strongly about pluralism we should not be satisfied with an ennobled form of permisiveness that preaches tolerance. In our multicultural society pluralism only has a chance of survival if we go towards the other person and if we are really interested in who he or she is , regardless of whether he/she is a foreigner , of another religion or conviction.
Intercultural dialogue depends upon authentic pluralism
It is essential to allow the other person’s truth , in which a ‘ heart to heart’ encounter is the golden key. In this way a meeting close to home can become a rich experience worth telling. We are only asked to go outside and to let the world in.
Dutch version / Nederlandse versie: Ga naar buiten. Laat de wereld binnen.
About going outside
- “Sometimes our stop-doing list needs to be bigger than our to-do list.”
- It’s Simple, Really, We Don’t Need Much
- Going Outside: The Sunrise Edition
- A wee tail
- Learning to Longboard – Novice Shred Spots
About meeting people
- We are strange
- Striving To Connect
- Meeting new people, Amazing Experiences & Giving help
- unexpected tips: ways to meet people
- How can I start meeting friends
- 5 Places To Meet People Offline
- 10 Ways to Meet People in the London
- 25 Small Ways You Can Bless A Stranger’s Life
- A person worth knowing
- Some Relationships Are Just Blips On The Radar (But They’re Still Beautiful)
- The type of people you Do Not want to meet in life Again!
- meeting horrible people and you’re complaining about it
- No makeup – One-liner Wednesday #1linerWeds
- Pumpkin Munchinskaij 🙂
- Men with Machetes!
- Moms have enough to worry about, let’s not make friendships one of them
- Conversation, Where Are You?
- Good date 8/10
- Some Wine, Some Words, and Some Confusion
- Another Source
- Workshop # 3 – We are all the same
- Being Religious and Spiritual 8 Spiritual, Mystic and not or well religious
- Some one or something to fear #5 Not afraid
- A participation in the body of Christ
- Justification – salvation is by grace through faith – JI Packer
- Disciple of Christ counting lives and friends dear to them
- A Holy week in remembrance of the Blood of life
- Atonement And Fellowship 3/8
- What’s church for, anyway?
- Gathering or meeting of believers
- Vergadering – Meeting / Meeting – Vergadering
- Congregate, to gather, to meet
- Why we do not have our worship-services in a church building
- Not trying to make the heathen live like Jews #2
- The Magic of Books
- Summertime Blues
- Good Vibes
- Thought Positions
- Police Visit
- A Stop In Mamou To See Fred’s and Tante Sue
- in which we update our dating status, and talk about tinder
- Dating Again After Divorce
- Collective Dating
- Better late than never
- Met a new pagan group last night
- Wading in the Sea
- It’s all in my mind…
- Want to Stop the Contempt, Hate, and Violence?
- Prejudices and Stereotypes
- Arrest the prejudices
- Things are rarely what they seem :: Why I scrambled to offer food to a stranger
- Dirt Daubers, Humans, and Other Pests
- Bias, stereotypes, and prejudice. Oh my?
- Are You Contagious?
- Dissolve The Barriers You Created
- Why Is It Important To Have Opinions And Communicate Them?
- Dealing with love burden
- “Nowhere to Go”
- Suicide blond
- What is True Compassion?
- our own guru
- The Enemy Camp: Creativity vs. Logic
- But You Can’t Shoot Them
- The Kind of Christian I Am Today (with an addendum on Orlando)
- Exceptions never ‘prove the rule”
- Strip Yourselves from Social Masks
- Heart for sale
- Religious Practices around the world
- Christmas in the 1950s
- Migrants to the West #10 Religious freedom
- More Muslim children than Christian children growing up in our cities
- Quran versus older Holy Writings of Divine Creator
- Back from gone #3 Giving worries to God and believing in His promises
- Where is the USA wanting to go with the freedom of their people
- ISIL will find no safe haven
- Holiday tolerance
- If you have integrity
- Integrity of the fellowship
- If you want to go far in life
- People who are always making allowances for themselves soon go bankrupt
- God let my compassionate affection be tolerant and kind
- A social experiment
- A Musing on Discerning Tolerance
- Introducing Students To Disability- Year 2
- Making Peace with the Middle East
- Learn and Live
- Republican vs. Democrat “Tolerance”, Compare And Contrast
- How religion can lead to violence – Gary Gutting