There is a beautiful text by Peter Handke in which he says ‘Fail calmly’. Fail, yes. Calmly, no. We did not learn that it is o.k. to fail. Let alone that we stay calm while failing. To fail calmly is an art of living, a constant balancing between trying, exercising, and daring to stumble.
Daring to stumble is showing your vulnerability.
To show that you don’t know either.
Socrates already said : ‘I know that I don’t know’.
That wisdom is centuries old .
Why is it so difficult to take away the layer of veneer?
To show who you really are, hesitating and stumbling?
Maybe it helps when we choose.
To choose to dare.
To choose to love stumbling people.
To choose to surround yourself with warm people who do not reject you when you stumble, but who on the contrary reach out.
And to offer your own hand or shoulder when someone nearly falls.
To get up and continue.
It sounds simple, but you never do it alone.
On top of your restored self confidence you need others.
Warm, encouraging others who also believe in your ability, your resilience and your talents.
To believe in yourself is to allow yourself to stumble.
Stumble calmly, struggle to get up and accept those hands, smooth your hairs and try again.
Not how you fall, but how you get up.
Original Dutch version / Originele Nederlandstalige versie: Niet hoe je valt, wel hoe je opstaat
- The Fallacy of Failure
- failing 1
- Failing 2
- Failing 3
- Failing 4
- day 122 . failing
- Fail Like a Scientist
- Failing at life
- Failing to Grace
- Failing and Flailing
- Fear of Failure, Failure to Risk
- Can I take my time?
- What have we done?
- Still not perfect
- 5 Ways to Fail a Class
- Acceptance: I’m A Failure!!! But I’m Working at it!
- Failing Fast
- Failing IS Part of Our Process
- Throwing out the cheese
- Is it bed-time yet?
- Making it to Xmas
- Smart Goals
- Mastering the art of quitting
- And Endless Downward Sloping Set of Stairs
- 7 Things People Don’t Realize You’re Doing Because You’re Afraid Of Failure
- “Negative Vibes”
- Why I Love Failing Just As Much As Succeeding
- I’ve got spirit, yes I do!
- what should you be?
- Reality Check
- One thing about Mark Zuckerberg you never knew
- Designed To Fail (& Grow)
- Fear Of Not Flying
- Once bitten
- The Countercultural Icon, #2
- Motivation Monday – Fear Edition!
- Life is hard. Send help
- The sun still rises even with the pain
- Learn To Strike Out
- One year older, one year…wiser?
- What’s At Risk When We Choose Not To Take A Risk?
- 365 Days Later
- 5 Lessons I’ve learned from 2016
- It wasn’t about me.