In a lot of communities among peoples across the globe, women or females are assigned different roles to men. In some regions, women get to lead the highest word, but in the majority of countries, it is the man who usually gets to lead.
Cambridge philosophers investigated why women, on the whole, are left to do more housework than men and why men fail to see this imbalance.
The issue, they believe, is that men and women perceive what they see in different ways. They have dubbed this phenomenon the “affordance theory”.
“For any given domestic task, that task can afford acting on for an agent,”
the philosophers wrote in their paper.
“A floor can afford sweeping, dishes can afford cleaning, mess can afford tidying, a crying infant can afford nappy-changing, and so on.
“We suggest that for many domestic tasks, women are more likely to perceive the corresponding domestic task affordance.”
Prof Paulina Sliwa, a philosopher at the University of Vienna, who worked on the topic while at the University of Cambridge, said this mechanism is backed up by science.
“Neuroscience has shown that perceiving an affordance can trigger neural processes preparing you for physical action,”
“This can range from a slight urge to overwhelming compulsion, but it often takes mental effort not to act on an affordance.”
Every person sees a specific thing and perceives it differently. For example, one person might see a gap between two objects as jumpable, or a tree as climbable, while another might think both things are impossible.
In our society, we still often find different roles designated for men and women.
Women do most of the chores around the home because men do not see mess in the same way, University of Cambridge academics believe.
While men will look at a pile of dishes in the sink or crumbs on the counter as a mess, women view it as a job in need of doing and feel an urge to do so.
This comes from a deep-rooted social training which wires the brains of men and women differently from a young age, it is thought.
Read more about it: The real reason men don’t do the housework
- 2015 Health and Welfare
- Poverty and conservative role patterns
- Milestones for women ordered
- Today’s thought “It is shameful for a woman to …” (March 1)
- Synod of Bishops concerning minors
- Suzerain-Vassal relationships in God’s Authority Structure
- Genesis 11 – Sin of the Passive Man
- What makes a Woman?
- The Role Of Women According To The Bible
- Roles of men and women
- Torah Portion: Beshalach (Exodus 13:17-17:16)
- Restoring Kol Israel: No more male or female?
- Prehistoric Humor
- Husband and Wife with God
- Recipe for a Perfect Wife by Karma Brown – 2 wives in the 1950s and contemporary America
- The Role of a Woman
- The Role of Women – Reasons to think again
- Role of Women
- The Role of Women
- Role of Women in Society
- The role of women in society
- The Impact of ‘Kinder, Küche, Kirche’ in Nazi Germany’s Attitudes Towards Women
- Freedom, By Jonathan Franzen (The ever-changing role of today’s woman)
- Im your GIRLFRIEND, NOT your MAID!
- Physical Planning – What Do We Miss Without Postmodernism and Development Feminism?
- Who’s Job Is It Anyway?
- 200615 – The Role of Man in The Home
- 11 Significant Role of Women
- A brief on feminism in planning and the ‘Lean In’ concept
- My Fair Lady- Gender Equality, and Gender Roles
- A Practical Theory
- Silencing Women 1 Cor. 14 & 11 – CARTOON
- Last Letter of Paul – Instructions to Timothy
- Women and the church: I Timothy 2
- The Biggest “But”
- 3 Reasons Why 1 Timothy 2:11-15 Should Not Limit Women
- Natalie Collins: Is Christianity Really Egalitarian?
- Context of Writings Silencing Women (notes)
- Things to do on a Saturday #3
- Mum’s Job
- A Conservative Outlook on Parenting, or, Why Your Daughter Is Weak
- Coping skill: tried/trying/to try
- How to exercise while doing the household chores
- Projects ‘N’ Progress
- To-Do’s… Ta da!
- Tidied cupboard
- A Public Service Announcement
- Collaborative social media and the Affordance theory
- Women’s day, a deciding day for women empowerment
- Who we are
- Equal but complementary
- The New Dirty Word – Feminism
- Femininity Gurus, Relationship Experts, and Various Other Quacks and Shysters
- Women’s Roles and Passover
- She’s An Ezer
- Refresh Your Family By Being the Homemaker
- A Heart To Serve
- A Woman’s Contribution to the Local Congregation
- On The Writing of Fairy Tales in the Real World
- Q&A: Women’s Roles, Head Coverings, When to Forgive, and more – Think Deeper
- Is it wrong for your mom or sister to lead prayers at home?
- Can a woman teach Scriptures through writing?
- Thomas Schreiner, “Does the Bible Support Female Deacons? Yes.”
- No Hierarchy In Church
- General Conference thoughts: Women and Gospel Learning in the Home and Parents and Children
- How Women Detox from Ministerial Significance
- Free on Kindle – Exploring the Role of Women in the Church
- Exploring the Role of Women in the Church – almost there…
- Looking for a Christmas gift? Exploring the Role of Women in the Church.
- Women were the unsung entrepreneurs behind successful businesspeople
- On Money and Happiness
- When gender inequality is good economics