According to Aristotle, a Greek philosopher from ancient times, there are three types of friendship,
I. Friendship of utility II. Friendship of pleasure, and finally, III. Perfect friendship
But what is a friend?
A friend is someone other than family that you share close affection with. A friend will share kindness, sympathy, compassion, loyalty, fun, common beliefs and values.
A true friend will celebrate the good times, and provide support during the bad times.
Ecclesiastes tells us
“You are better off having a friend than being all alone…..if you fall, your friend can help you up.” Ch 4 v 9-10
In the Bible there are many mentions of friends, and it is easy to see the attributes that make a good friend;
Loving, respectful, positive, forgiving, reliable, loyal, inspirational, vigilant, supportive, non-judgemental, trustworthy, cooperative, wise, and self- controlled.
We are told in Luke 6 v 31
“treat others as you want to be treated.”
Of course, the most powerful example of a friend, was Jesus.
John 15 v 12 -13 “Now I tell you to love each other, as I have loved you. The greatest way to show love for friends is to die for them.”
Let us all remember the example Jesus gave us, and be the sort of friend to others that we would want for ourselves.
In a world where we can be anything, let us be kind, compassionate, sympathetic and empathetic, loyal, and fun to those around us, as we journey together towards the Kingdom. There, by God’s grace, we will meet our best friend.
Help us to be good friends to those around us.
Help us to show love and kindness to others, as you have shown us.
Help us to provide support and comfort to our friends as they have need.
Thank you for being our friend and comforter,
and for our many blessings.
- Learning from others
- Growing Friendships, Changing the World
- Part 3: Why Schedule People and People People Should Be Friends
- Love Lust Break-up Friendship.
- My Cute Friend
- Meeting others in our mess
- How do you know if your friend has your back? What if they the devil you need to run from? This scares me alot
- Who are your friends at work?
- Slick Ways to Make Friends When You’re Targeted by Bullies
- Happy Endings
- Prioritizing Relationships
- Visits with Friends
- My thoughts to present Friends with benefits..
- Into every life some rain must fall.
- All the World’s A Stage
- Despite the Let Down