Studies have shown that just about any diet will result in weight loss, if it’s one that someone can follow. Esteemed Yale physician and nutrition expert David Katz examined over 58 popular diets and found that the most successful in terms of both weight loss and nutrition consist of “real food.” By that he means plants, whole grains, nuts and seeds, as well as meat (ideally, from animals that ate plants). Basically, foods closer to nature. The other key is minimizing processed foods, including sugars and flours.
It’s hard to keep track of how much we eat. But a lot of research shows that when we keep track of intake, we eat less.
Most major weight loss is followed by weight gain, as people revert to their old habits. But, some folks manage to keep it off. How do they do it? Researchers have found that maintaining a healthy diet, ongoing self-monitoring, plenty of self-acceptance, as well as a high level of physical activity are all associated with keeping the pounds off.
The old adage is “eat less, exercise more,” and this is still true, to some extent. But human beings are psychologically and sociologically complex creatures, and that adage is a lot harder to follow than it sounds. For average adults who do not have contributing medical or psychological issues, a nutritious plant-based diet low in processed foods and carbohydrates, consistent self-monitoring of intake and progress, forgiving oneself when expected lapses occur, all combined with regular physical activity, can result in weight loss for life.
Continue reading: Weight loss that works: A true story
- Why Are We Overweight?
- It’s that time of the year again
- Almost Spring time … what’s below the clothes? Our body we must love it!
- Isn’t there a grand stretch now spring is finally here! Happy that our farmers get a bit more brightness in their day #FarmerFriday
- How Jogging can Change your Life (1 min read)
- Actually, you don’t need eight 8 ounce glasses of water every day
- Why are you avoiding gluten?
- Boost Your Energy and Mood By Eating Well
- Measurement Day
- Lose Weight in 2 Weeks – 8 Tips for Easy Weight Loss
- Lose 10kg in 10 weeks
- 7kg down in 4months: week 1
- Lent Day 10: 3/10/2017
- Try This
- Diet Plan for Men – Living Healthy
- Macronutrient Diet?
- Protein Diet Plan for Weight Loss
- Kick Your Appetite to the Curb
- Food on Friday ~ Comfort Food
- I feel bad for eating meat
- Vegetarians/Vegans and Me
- Corn Salad